Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 1998 14:37:06 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        John Birrell <jb@freebsd1.cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bootstrapping FreeBSD/Alpha

In message <199801110548.QAA24424@freebsd1.cimlogic.com.au> John Birrell writes:
: I've committed a bunch of changes that allow FreeBSD/Alpha to be
: bootstrapped from an installed NetBSD/Alpha 1.3 system. The bootstrap
: is not complete (after 2.5 days), but it is in a state where people
: who want to play can do so using source that they are familiar with.

Yippie! skippie!

For a variety of reasons, I wasn't able to install netbsd on my box
this weekend.  It will be at least another couple of weeks before it
looks like I'll get another chance.  So I thought I'd give cross
compiling a try.

So far I've hacked FreeBSD's contrib/gcc/confiugre to grok
alpha-unknown-freebsd as a target.  This let me get to the stage where
I was able to generate .s files, but lacking a good binutils
toolchain, I punted at this point and thought I'd send mail before
dragging down the wrong binutils...

What does NetBSD/alpha use for tools?  Out of the box as, et al from
binutils?  Or something that has been hacked special for the purpose
that hasn't been merged back into the FSF sources yet?

Has any thought been given to having a /usr/src/contrib/binutils?
That way we could have the x86 elf tools in the tree, as well as the
alpha elf tools too.  I agree that it is likely too soon to consider
integrating something like egcs into the tree, but the only thing this
would eat up is disk space.  Alternatively, I think it might not be a
bad idea to have a binutil port in /usr/ports if the disk space needed
is considered excessive.  My gut tells me that if FreeBSD 3.0 is Elf,
we should do it, otherwise a port is likely more politically correct.

Finally, would people object to my adding the 11 lines of code to
configure to make it  grok the alpha-unknown-freebsd type so that
./configure -target alpha-unknown-freebsd has a chance of working?

Comments?

Warner