Date:      Mon, 06 Apr 1998 20:49:04 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD hackers list)
Subject:   Re: Summary: shopping for new video adapter

> I've been asked for a summary, so here it is:
>
> - My question was specific to whether a Matrox Millenium II would be a good
> choice for (stock) Xfree and whether it would run OK on a 75Mc PCI bus.
>
> The general opinion seems to be that a Matrox Millenium II is indeed a very
> good card, and should run without problems on a 75Mc bus. Even 83Mc buses
> seem to work OK. Whether stock Xfree is OK seems to be under debate. Both
> claims that stock Xfree is OK and claims that you need Xaccel are present.
>
> A trip to www.xfree86.org seems to indicate that the Xfree86 distribution
> now supports the Millenium II. You want to take a close look on the RAMDAC
> speed in case you want the highest resolutions and refresh rates (and you
> probably do ;-)
>
> So, people sound pleased and I'll probably be getting in the near term.
>
> Wilko
>
> Snippets of received comments:
> Not unless you are willing to buy Xaccel.  XFree86 doesn't support it
> very well at all.  Xaccel 4.01 is pretty good, modulo some
> font-handling bugs.

This is my comment, I'll make it again.  I have an MII, I have the
latest XFree86, and Xaccel 4.01.  Xaccel is sufficiently buggy that I
have to use XFree occasionally (colour and font handling).  I would
not want to be using it on a regular basis (it reminds me of the old
days with the S3 server in its infancy), however, as the XFree server
has a number of extremely annoying and distracting cosmetic problems.

If you can live with swarming ants, random pixel garbage and occasional
snow, by all means go for it.  Otherwise, hang back a few months and
let the nice XFree MII hackers finish the job.