Date:      Fri, 14 Sep 2001 09:25:04 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Paul Robinson <paul@akita.co.uk>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, David Scheidt <dscheidt@tumbolia.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Milo Hyson <milo@cyberlifelabs.com>, Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Helping victims of terror

>On the 'good' side, it now looks like the original death toll figures were
>overestimates. The Register is reporting that even though Morgan Stanley had
>3,500 employees over 25 floors of the WTC, only 15 are currently missing
>which is bordering on miraculous. If you consider that out of over 50,000
>people less than 5,000 are still missing, AND people are still coming out of
>there alive, things are starting to look a hell of a lot more miraculous
>than they did when it first happened. Not much comfort to those whose loved
>ones are one of the 5,000 still unaccounted for though.

   Actually, you've got the facts a little wrong. The 5000 number is the
number of reported missing, not the number of "unaccounted for". These are
very different things - not all people have families or friends who would
immediately realize that they are missing. In many cases entire companies
were wiped out, so even coworkers wouldn't be able to report missing
employees...and then there's all the vistors - perhaps 1/3 of the people
in the buildings at the time. This all means that the final number will
certainly be higher, and we will never know exactly.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
President, TeraSolutions, Inc. - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.