Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 1996 15:50:21 -0300 (GRNLNDST)
From:      ormonde@trem.cnt.org.br (Rodrigo Ormonde)
To:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Cc:        jrclark@netview.net
Subject:   Re: wu_ftp port "Service not available"

> Hello,
>
> I have been trying to use the Washington University FTP daemon.  It will not
> allow me to login:
>
> - -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 220 net1.netview.net FTP server (Version wu-2.4(3) Mon Jul 1 10:43:43 EST
> 1996) ready.
> Name (netview.net:sa): sa
> 221 Server shutting down.  Goodbye.
> 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
> - -------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> It would seem that it should be a simple matter to fix this, but for the
> life of me, I don't know how.  In the past, I have used wu_ftpd without a
> hitch.  I think it is the crazy shadow-passwords database system that
> FreeBSD uses that is confusing the server???

  Well, there is a file called shutdown or .shutdown (or somethink like that. I
can't remember right now) that denies any connection to the ftp server. If you
remove this file then the wu-ftp will work normally.

  This file is intended for mantenance only and if it's present, wu-ftpd
assumes it is shutting down and denies all ftp conections.

> Also, please note the number in parentheses on my server (3):
> - -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 220 net1.netview.net FTP server (Version wu-2.4(3) Mon Jul 1 10:07:50 EST
> 1996) ready.
> - -------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> The cdrom.com server is a bit different:
> 220 wcarchive.cdrom.com FTP server (Version wu-2.4(17) Sat Jun 22 21:37:48
> PDT 1996) ready.
>
> What does that mean?  A revision number?

  Yes.

--
Rodrigo de La Rocque Ormonde
Confederacao Nacional do Transporte