Date:      Thu, 18 May 1995 15:44:58 PDT
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        Plyaskin Sergey <splyaski@cmp.com>
Cc:        Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>, Guy Helmer <ghelmer@alpha.dsu.edu>, "' freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: gated / routed

In message <2FBBF4DC@mailgate.cmp.com> you write:
>I set routedflags to NO and gated to YES and
>added the line
>rip yes ;
>to my /etc/gated.conf file. I only have one NIC and do not use PPP or SLIP
>so perhaps I do not need packet forwarding.

With only one interface, and with only "rip yes" in your gated.conf file,
running gated is exactly like running routed, so I'm still not sure why you
need to be running gated.

>However, I'm still unable to ping any outer hosts.

What does your routing table look like?

What machine is your router?  Can you use the "ripquery" that came with gated
to query your router, to find out what it is advertising?  Perhaps you would
do best with just a static default route.

  Bill