Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 1998 13:27:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@kithrup.com>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, ken@plutotech.com
Subject:   Re: Dropped of the lists, *AGAIN*

>	I can't speak for jmb, since I have no idea why you've gotten
>bumped off the lists.  However, I can speak as the administrator of about
>15 different mailing lists.

Right, I"ve *NEVER* run large mailing lists, I have *NO* idea what it's like.
(He said sarcastically.)

My current netconnection is considerably better and more reliable than Walnut
Creek's (not counting ftp.cdrom.com -- if I wanted better connectivity than
that machine, it would cost me a couple hundred a month).  I had a brief
period of problems, three days, when my ISP died, but I wasn't removed then--
I was still getting messages until the middle of last week.

>	I would just ask jmb(@FreeBSD.ORG) why you've been removed from
>the lists.  He's the postmaster, and he may remember why he removed you.

What makes you thnnk I hadn't?

He said something about a fibre cut, and when it was restored, lots of mail
came flooding in, and caused file corruption.  And files were truncated.  "i
believe that a number of files.  that the files truncated were the files that
store the list of subscribers."

So why weren't the files restored from backup?  Why wasn't a note sent to the
various lists to try to find people who were affected?  Why is the first time
I've heard about this file corruption, which should have affected lots of
people, more than a week after I was removed rom lists?

I don't really have time these days to track down what lists I was on, nor
figure out how to resubscribe to them.  Especially when, while it takes no
time to be deleted, it has taken nearly a week to get back on at times.  Today
is the first day with enough idle time I've had in a week to get around to
reading the various lists -- and imagine my surprise when there wasn't
anything in most of them.