Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 18:27:05 -0700
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        Sung Nae Cho <sucho2@quasar.phys.vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Softupdate, is it better than journaling file system?

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 08:43:13PM -0400, Sung Nae Cho wrote:
> I was wondering if there is a real perferomance comparison between
> softupdates and journaling file systems available for Linux
> systems.  One thing I still don't like about FreeBSD is the file
> (copying, deleting, extracting...  etc) system performance.  Linux
> seems to be much faster in (copying, deleting, extracting.....)
> files than FreeBSD even with "async" option enabled in fstab.  How
> good is softupdates compared to those already maturing journaling
> file systems available to Linux?

There have been several lengthy discussions on this topic lately.
Perhaps you'd like to check the mailing list archives.

In a nutshell, softupdates on FreeBSD gives very near the same
performance as an async mount, and gives you =much= better
filesystem security.

How that compares to various Linux filesystems, I don't really know.
Nor do I really care.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.com