Date:      Thu, 07 Aug 2014 17:36:14 +0200
From:      Harald Schmalzbauer <h.schmalzbauer@omnilan.de>
To:        Michelle Sullivan <michelle@sorbs.net>
Cc:        meyser@xenet.de, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to submit new Ports

--------------enig77A26696D8BF4BE909E81610

 Bez=FCglich Michelle Sullivan's Nachricht vom 06.08.2014 13:27 (localtim=
e):
> =85
>>> P.S. I don`t want to create an bugzilla account.
>>>    =20
>> =85
> Further all you need to do is set a password..  and as Koobs said,
> reports are a higher quality.  Personally I started submitting pr's jus=
> before the change to bugzilla, and I find the bugzilla:
>
> 1/ Easier to report (click the right buttons, add a subject, add a
> patch/attachment, submit)
> 2/ Easier to reply/update - you can add comments new attachments at any=

> time without any hassle
> 3/ You get faster responses from the admins/commiters/testers.
>
> All in all personally I think the move to bugzilla was a good move for =
all.

Unfortunately I can't share your experience.
Any time I log in, having my e-mail address auto-filled into 'requester'
and 'requestee', result is -> "No requests."
Which isn't true of course. I have to search for "samba41" e.g., to find
my own submission.

The response time is in no way related to the kind of bug tracking
system, at least not if it's about gnats vs. bugzilla. In my example
case, response or any other form of activity is lagging more than what I
was used to with gnats.

My personal experience is, that in the last decade, not much has
changed, since I found bugzilla to be one of the most inconvenient bug
tracking systems out there in the early/mid 2000s (when my choice for
various projects over decent time was "doublechocolate" :-)

'send-pr' encouraged/admonished/forced admins to deploy sensible
mailhubs (internal DNS RRs) and gateway-masquerading. I've never seen
that beeing wasted effort =96 it's always been beneficial for the whole
infratructure and the admins' skills :-)

If you once read send-pr and submitted your first PR, it was easy and
clear how to fill out subsequent PRs. In my opinion, much more clearly
than with bugzilla, where I have to rethink all the bells and whistles
each time (btw, what does 'triage' mean?!?).
I haven't had to look into bug tracking systems for some years, but
since I was now urged to deal with bugzilla, I fear this choice was one
of the quick ones.

But maybe the developers profit from the change.

Regards,

-Harry