Date:      Mon, 25 Jan 1999 17:57:27 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
To:        "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.Org>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ARO 1130 Cache module for AIC7895 controller

In article <3.0.5.32.19990125142356.0095c9e0@localhost> you wrote:
> I have a ARO-1130-CA (RaidPort) cache module for use with an
> on-motherboard AIC 7895 dual channel UW controller.  The ARO-1130-CA
> has up to 16 MB of cache and can be used to support RAID levels 0 and 1.
>
> It's my understanding that the CAM code in 3-stable/4-current
> does not support Adaptec RAID controllers.  However, is the
> CAM code compatible with the controller?  That is, can
> I have utilize disks on a 7895 w/ 1130-CA in normal SCSI (non-RAID)
> mode?  Would I obtain the cache benefits of the controller?

It is possible to support the 7895s as normal SCSI controllers under
FreeBSD, but I need to know what PCI device ID the RaidPort specifies
for the aic7895s during its attachment.  The RaidPort modifies the
aic7895 device ID to ensure that 'normal' Adaptec drivers do not
attach to devices it has claimed for its own use.

The cache will be completely ignored by FreeBSD.

--
Justin