Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 1996 14:37:50 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        noud@knot.nl
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: is there a sys.tar.gz??

> Wow..thanx for the fast reply!!

Can't speak for anyone else, but your mail arrived while I was in the
middle of an FTP transfer...

> I'd like to set it up as a gateway; ppp to the net and ether inside.
> Given my disk having 14Mb left, is that anough to compile the kernel??

On my system, the kernel compile directory takes up about 2MB after
compilation, plus another 700kB for the installed kernel.

> How long will it take to compile the kernel given it's a 486sx,
> no co-processor as far as i see, 8Mb??

On my 486DX33 with 8MB of RAM, it used to take just over half an hour.

> If 14Mb free space is to less, can i setup an 40Mb disk as swap and
> the 100Mb as / ?? Do i need to do things for such a setup?

Once you get below 10% free space on a file-system, the performance is
supposed to start deteriorating markedly. And of course, only root can
write to a file-system with less than 5% free space. 14M will not
leave you with much "elbow room".

You can probably get a performance improvement by having separate swap
partitions on the two disks and exploiting the parallelism of SCSI.
(If you don't have SCSI, ignore this).

40MB of swap is quite a lot if you only have 8MB of RAM. Unless you
enjoy doing things like surfing with Netscape while waiting for
multiple compilations in an Emacs session to complete under X, most of
it will never be used. (And if you find that enjoyable on an 8MB
machine, you must be an absolute masochist :-)

I'd be tempted to put / and 16M of swap on the 40MB disk and /usr on
the 100MB disk. You'll need to re-install (and presumably set the 40MB
disk up as the first one seen by the machine, assuming there aren't
any other OS's to complicate the picture).

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk