Date:      Thu, 10 May 2001 20:00:10 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: workstation application question

At 6:15 PM +0100 5/10/01, j mckitrick wrote:

>  So if you buy a Xerox printer, you have to pay for a sun workstation as
>  well?  That seems kind of odd, not to mention expensive.

	Maybe they don't use Suns for the low-end printers, but the
high-end ones certainly do (and they're totally separate boxes which
either sit on top of, or next to the printer that they are
controlling).  However, that's included as part of the price.

	When we got one, I groaned that this would be yet another Sun I'd
be responsible for managing, but so far as I can tell, no
administration was ever actually done to it by anyone, and it was
probably completely and totally wide-open as far as security (or lack
thereof ;-) was concerned -- just waiting to be r00ted as soon as
someone could get packets routed to the damn thing.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>          */