Date:      Sun, 23 Mar 2003 11:20:29 -0600
From:      Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Server redundancy over 2 co-locations

>-The world famous F5 Networks 3-DNS controller; You pay for a lot of fancy
>things that I don't need

yep

>because it can ballance the connection over multiple locations, which I
>don't need.

nope

>-Some sort of round-robin system, that runs on both locations (primary at
>location 1 and secondary at location 2) and checks if location 1 is still
>up, and otherwise points to location 2.

This is pretty easy to do with a dynamic, sandboxed sub-zone for a
www.domain.com zone.  I helped an on-line travel site set up his Radware
Linkproof box and got to learn all about this approach with the Radware people.

I have a (commercial) scheme like this for load-balancing and failing over
of MX gateways as part of IMGate.

>I don't know if I'll get problems with TTL times

All DNS load-balancing and/or failover tactics require tiny TTL on the A
records.

>, DNS caches

Your unwanted effects of caching are minimized with the short TTL

>  etc with the round-robin system, or with the 3-DNS controller.
>
>What are your thoughts and experiences on this subject?

round-robin won't give you primary/secondary failover. It will give you
dumb load distribution, so when one ip is down, it will still see traffic
(that will time out, not a desirable "user experience")  since DNS will
still be passing out the RR-set of A records for the www domain name.

To do exactly what you want, there used to be a project called "fez"
(nothing to do with Arabs, you Super Patriots) on sourceforge but has been
gone quite
a while.

You can find Linkproof boxes on eBay for the typical fraction of $new.

Len