Date:      Mon, 05 Jun 2000 00:41:29 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Matt Heckaman <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, FreeBSD-ADVOCACY <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/Solaris

Matt Heckaman wrote:

> : A search on rootshell.com shows _55_ exploits for solaris and only
> : 15 for FreeBSD.
>
> Yes, I saw that. The FreeBSD advisory directory contains 58 advisories,
> alot are DoS attacks though that bit everyone. These are both facts I
> mentioned and got the reply from him that "FreeBSD doesn't announce all
> their security problems, it's just a PR game." bah! I think he just can't
> believe that an OS doesn't have alot of security exploits :)

We have the source code available, and the *HISTORY* to the source code
available. Every single change in the source code has attached to it an
explanation why that change was done. This is publicly available, and,
in fact, http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ will give you this on
the web. Add to that, every time someone commits one of those changes, a
message is sent to an open subscription mailing list informing which
files where changed, in which branch, how many lines in each file, and
with the above-mentioned explanation. If the explanation is too obscure,
anyone is free to reply to it asking for clarification, something that
actually happens every now and then. I _think_ we also keep archives for
that list, so that anyone can check it out too.

So, let's see what could be happening:

1. We find security holes, do not report them to anyone, and do not fix
them so no one will notice we had them in first place.

Not likely. Either others would find them, and then you'd see hacker
tools to exploit them, see them appear on bugtrack or rootshell, or no
one ever finds them (which implies we are safe anyway :).

2. We find security holes, do not report them ot anyone, and fix them
quietly.

OpenBSD has been accused of doing that, actually. :-) But given the way
we advertise all our changes, and the fact that they are available for
anyone to see at any time, the *whole* history, isn't it a bit unlikely
that no one has ever caught us doing it? And, as a matter of fact, if we
_were_ doing that, wouldn't it make sense _not_ to make all this change
logs available for anyone to see? Like, for instance, Solaris? :-) I
mean, it would mean we are not only sneaky and sly, but very dumb too.
And, still, no one has caught us at it! :-)

3. We find security holes, report them, and explain we are fixing them
while changing the code.

Well, if we *were* doing that, there would be _evidence_ we were doing
that, right? Right. If you go look at or cvs log, you will find
instances were a change is said to being made to fix security holes.

Last... check out who reported the security holes at bugtrack or
rootshell. They usually come from _users_, not developers.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)

dcs@newsguy.com
dcs@freebsd.org
capo@yet.another.bsdconspiracy.org

	Hmmm - I have to go check this. My reality assumptions are shattered.