Date:      Fri, 02 Jan 1998 10:56:15 +0100
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, pol@leissner.se, helbig@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SOLVED: International characters in vi are displayed as hex?

Jose M. Alcaide wrote:

> If compiled on FreeBSD, the call to setlocale() pass LC_ALL as
> the first argument. I have tested this, and setlocale(LC_ALL,"")
> works with most locales, but fails with a few ones:
>
> ascii
> es_ES.ISO_8859-1
> fi_FI.ISO_8859-1
> ja_JP.EUC         [also fails with setlocale(LC_CTYPE, "")]
> ja_JP.SJIS        [also fails with setlocale(LC_CTYPE, "")]
> ko_KR.EUC         [also fails with setlocale(LC_CTYPE, "")]
> lt_LN.ASCII
> lt_LN.ISO_8859-1
> lt_LN.ISO_8859-2
> nl_BE.ISO_8859-1
> sv_SE.ISO_8859-1
> us-ascii
>
> However, setlocale(LC_CTYPE, "") [_not_ LC_ALL] works fine with these
> locales except the three noted.

The vi problem is definitely solved. Indeed, the setlocale(LC_ALL,"")
call in /usr/src/contrib/nvi/common/key.c fails because some
locales are not fully described:

Wolfgang Helbig wrote:

> That's because the file LC_TIME is missing in the directory
> /usr/share/locale/es_ES.ISO_8859-1.  If called with "LC_ALL",
> setlocale(3) returns with an error ("No such file or directory")
> without trying to load LC_CTYPE.
>
> So the fix is to provide a spanish LC_TIME file.  You find sources
> for other LC_TIME files in /usr/src/share/timedef/data.  To build a
> LC_TIME file from it's source, you only have to delete the comment
> lines.

This solution can be also applied to the other locales, such
as sv_SE.ISO_8859-1. I have created the LC_TIME file for
the spanish locale, and everything works fine now. Thanks Wolfgang!

-- JM
Jose M. Alcaide                         | mailto:jose@we.lc.ehu.es
Universidad del Pais Vasco              | http://www.we.lc.ehu.es/~jose
Dpto. de Electricidad y Electronica     |
Facultad de Ciencias - Campus de Lejona | Tel.:  +34-4-4647700 x2624
48940 Lejona (Vizcaya) - SPAIN          | Fax:   +34-4-4858139
               "Go ahead... make my day." - H. Callahan