Date:      Tue, 17 Nov 1998 10:54:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jamie Bowden <jamie@itribe.net>
To:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
Cc:        "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@ics.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: First Impression of 3.0-RELEASE

On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, David E. Cross wrote:

> I will answer this one point with my experience on SGI IRIX 6.2+ machines
> that experience this same behaviour.  If I link libpng.so with libz.so, I
> *still* need to link any binaries with both libpng.so and libz.so.
>
>  > Third, transitive linking doesn't work. I.e if I link libXt with -lSM
> > -lICE, and then link a program with -lXt, I get unresolved externals for
> > libSM and libICE. Should I? The program does not make any calls to libSM
> > or libICE, so I don't think I should. Leastways I don't get them on all
> > the other systems that use ELF, and I'd wager that if I looked, I could
> > find something in the ELF specification (a.k.a. the SystemV ABI) that
> > speaks to this. Of the three things, I think this is far and away the
> > most serious shortcoming. Nothing's going to fix this for 3.0, so some
> > sort of kludgie work-around will have to be employed. I hope someone
> > will fix this for the next release.

Yes, you do, and boy does linker get cranky if you don't.  He's right
about ld paths though.  It's up to the user to set their own
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, which I personally hate.  I don't want to move libraries
around, but their is no way to modify the system default, which FreeBSD
allows, so I have quite a few softlinks in my /usr/lib directory on my
Irix boxes.

Jamie Bowden

--
Systems Administrator, iTRiBE.net

If we've got to fight over grep, sign me up.  But boggle can go.
	-Ted Faber (on Hasbro's request for removal of /usr/games/boggle)