Date:      Thu, 9 Jan 2003 15:03:15 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Cc:        Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>, "" <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Backup Solutions

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Brad Knowles wrote:

> 	And I want to do it in a cross-platform environment, which
> gives me a reasonable chance of having the backups continue to be
> readable and useable, even after an OS upgrade or three on either
> the clients or the server(s).

I think I mentioned in the past that a commercial tool is probably
what you're looking for, such as Legato Networker or Veritas
NetBackup, but it might be interesting to note that Veritas claims
that NetBackup stores its archives on tape in tar format.  This could
give you the "forward compatibility" that you're looking for.  I
haven't verified that this is actually the case, but you can try it
for free if you give them a call and see for yourself.  One of these
days I may actually hook the tape drive up to one of my FreeBSD boxes
and see if I can use tar to extract the stuff off of it.

--
 Chris Dillon - cdillon(at)wolves.k12.mo.us
 FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet

No trees were harmed in the composition of this message, although some
electrons were mildly inconvenienced.