Date:      Mon, 03 Aug 1998 17:06:17 -0400
From:      Luis Munoz <lem@cantv.net>
To:        leifn@internet.dk
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: route problems

At 09:34 PM 03/08/1998 +0200, Leif Neland wrote:
>We have two livingston's which gives the dialins ip's in one net
>(194.255.12.x) while the rest of the net and servers are in another net
>(194.19.140.x). The we have a cisco for our uplink, which we can't
>control.
>
>How can the cisco know which livingston to route to to get to a dialin?
>
>What if we get more livingston's, and somebody with a fixed ip could get
>either one or the other livingston?

Your best bet here is to run an IGP with the cisco (you need to talk to
your router admin for this). I succesfully ran an installation with
~120 modems using RIP *only* for the dialup pools. Keep in mind that
you might need to config the netmask table on the livingston but in your
scenario, perhaps this does not hurt.

On the servers (which I suppose are FreeBSD because the post to the list ;)
point a static route towards the cisco. He'll know how to get to the dialup
pool or to a blackhole if you need to.

>Also, perhaps related, sometimes when I dial in, I can ping our servers,
>but a traceroute stops at the cisco to the uplink. But if I log in to a
>server, I can reach the rest of the world.
>
>Is it because the cisco sometimes doesn't know the route to the dialin?

Could be so. But if you can ping something outside your net, this is not
the problem.

Regards,

-lem