Date:      Tue, 9 Feb 1999 12:33:40 -0600
From:      "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@visi.com>
To:        "Blaz Zupan" <blaz@gold.amis.net>, "Petri Helenius" <pete@sms.fi>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Spontaneous reboots

    My machine that reboots all the time uses an old Cirus Logic chip I
believe.  It is an ISA video card.  I never have problems with my PII-333
running a Diamond Viper 550 AGP and an Asante PCI 10BaseT ethernet card.
This machine rarely runs ssh but it usually had sshd running.  The rogue
machine (reboots) also uses sshd.  That is the only comparison I see between
your comments and my hardware/software.

    I suspect the problem is rooted deeper in the networking code and is not
directly hardware related.  One thing that does seem to be common is the
fact that some sort of networking is going on, but then again, that would be
a rare case when that wasn't true.  However, a dial-up connection may have a
much longer period of time go by before the problem manifested itself.
Higher bandwidth could certainly trip this up faster.
However, I can say that the reboot ALWAYS occurrs with network activity,
either on initial connects, prolonged activity or intense activity.  Doesn't
seem to be anything else.  Perhaps a combination of similar hardware and
networking or something.

Tom Veldhouse
veldy@visi.com