Date:      Sat, 28 Nov 1998 00:04:19 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Paolo Di Francesco <paipai@tin.it>, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Ultra] Compiler, again

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Saturday, 28 November 1998 at  2:16:46 +0000, Paolo Di Francesco wrote:
>
> > P.P.S. Rember: I haven't an Ultra. This means "crosscompiling" and I don't
> > know if we can use gcc for crosscompiling 8(
>
> Yes, gcc can be compiled as a cross-compiler.

It's really quite simple; I make my living with GCC cross-compilers.

There are a few caveats; a GCC sparc cross-compiler running on a
non-sparc host generates slightly different code from a sparc-
hosted compiler; I have no idea why.  Both generate valid code, just
slightly different.

Also, GCC code for 64-bit processors is better optimized when compiled
on a 64-bit system.  IIRC, the 64-bit hosts use larger window sizes
for register scheduling and peephole optimization.

Neither of these should have any effect on an initial porting effort.
Once the kernel and userland are stable enough to support ongoing
development, they become moot points.

The best development environment for this is whatever you have:
FreeBSD/386, FreeBSD/AXP, NetBSD/SPARC, Solaris SPARC, whatever.
Running GCC cross-compilers on Atari STs running GEMDOG is a
possibility, and better than not doing anything.  ;^)