Date:      Sun, 2 Aug 1998 15:57:25 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        pecseny@inf.bme.hu, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: quota

The quota system is known to be rather inefficient when very large
UIDs are used. See also http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=2325

Probably during a crash the fs got screwed up and resulted in a file
with a large UID. This caused quotacheck to run that long time.

I first realized this when my PCNFS users started to write files as nobody
which appeared in FreeBSD as a file with UID 4294967294 IIRC.

I changed this behaviour with two rather ugly kernel patches that map
all UIDs greater than 65535 to nobody :-)

	-Andre