Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 1999 07:04:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>, John Baldwin <jobaldwi@smtp2.erols.com>
Subject:   Re: Inetd and wrapping.

On 22-Jun-99 Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jun 1999 17:47:10 -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
>
>> I suppose you could a field wrap/nowrap like the wait/nowait field..
>> but then you'd be butchering the sacred cow of the inetd.conf
>> format...
>
> I don't see why people want to make inetd responsible for per-case
> exclusions from the default wrapping behaviour -- that's what
> hosts.allow was for.

Because that only controls access, it does not actually turn wrapping off.
Wrapping also logs as well as access control.  If you use ftp -l -l, then the
ftp daemon will produce the same log messages, thus there is no need to have
them twice, except to eat up disk space.  And if you are only using wrapping
for logging purposes, then turning off wrapping on ftpd then cuts out the
duplicate messages, allowing you to store more actual logs instead of wasting
space on dup's.  It's also more orthogonal to allow an on/off switch for each
service.

> Ciao,
> Sheldon.

---