Date:      Wed, 29 Apr 1998 13:46:39 +0800
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/netinet ip_fw.c

On Fri, 24 April 1998 at 23:34:01 +0800, Peter Wemm wrote:
> Garrett Wollman wrote:
>> <<On Fri, 24 Apr 1998 17:00:02 +0900 (JST), Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.
>     jp> said:

>> We have already determined that this mode of operation will not be
>> supported in the future (right, dg?).  If you want to debug a kernel
>> dump, use the debugger.
>
> IMHO, this is fine as long as gdb gets a 'ps' command.
>
> What I'd love to see is a cross between gdb and the SVR4 crash(1M) command.
> That would be a seriously powerful combination.
>
> root@gecko[5:19pm]~peter/src/startppp-116# crash
> dumpfile = /dev/mem, namelist = /stand/unix, outfile = stdout
>> ?
>
> (etc)
>
> Basically crash(1M) for those who've not seen it, is kinda like a
> user-mode DDB but it knows how to display just about everything in detail
> ranging from summary mode to huge detail.

Well, I'd like the *functionality* of crash without the emetic syntax.
It's high on my list of "must do if I ever find the time".  The really
big thing that ddb and remote gdb both don't do is show you the state
of processes which aren't executing at the time.  If you're debugging
a multi-process scenario, this is a must (it's also pretty
indispensible for debugging hangs).

> So, if somebody ever had huge amounts of spare time, a combination of GDB's
> source debugging, a DDB/crash(1M) style interface and a decent scripting
> system would be dynamite.   We could then have a reasonable chance of
> putting together a sample script to do information gathering for people to
> run on their crashdumps for inclusion with send-pr etc.  Add in gdb-remote
> and you've really got something worth yelling about.

Well, I'd like to say "yes", but I promised to do it two years ago, so
I don't need to promise again (and you can also gauge the likelihood
of me doing it now).  What I do have, though, is some code from a
kernel debugger I wrote for BSD/386 about 6 years ago, before ddb and
friends were available on this platform.  It does some things that ddb
doesn't, including hardware breakpoints (using the debugging
registers).  If anybody wants it, let me know.  It will need at least
minor interface modification to work with FreeBSD.

Greg