Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 11:45:19 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Edward Beili <edward.beili@telrad.co.il>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Multi-port Ethernet Tester

Hi,

My company has to test an Ethernet bridge
(actually it's two 2-port 10BT cards seating in a Sonet (OC3)
shelf; the Ethernet traffic is multiplexed into a few (up to 8)
VT1.5 channels; each card is an independent bridge together with its
opponent at the other side).

One possible solution would be to buy SmartBits test set
($17000 for the box with 20 slots, $1500 each 10BT card, $4000 - S/W).

Another solution could be to use 2 FreeBSD PCs w/4..5 Ethernet cards,
depending on the number of free (PCI) slots. Suppose we could group
the cards as following:

  PC1            PC2
+----+         +----+
| E1 |-subnet1-| E1 |
| E2 |-subnet2-| E2 |
| E3 |-subnet3-| E3 |
| E4 |-subnet4-| E4 |
+----+         +----+

Now we would connect:

  subnet1 - bridge1 - subnet2

  subnet3 - bridge2 - subnet4

The obvious problem is to force FreeBSD to send packets through the
interface cards even though both sender and receiver cards are
located on the same PC.

My questions are:

1. Is it possible? (I'm really very new to this field)
2. Can it be done easily (I'd prefer not to hack the kernel).
3. Did anyone hear of a similar application (in other words can I
   steal the code:)
4. What S/W can I use to obtain performance statistics (lost packets,
   throughput etc).

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Thanks,
-Edward

PS. They have standardized here on Intel EtherExpress 10/100.
    Will Pentium 200 w/32 Mb RAM handle 4/5 of these?