Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2000 09:21:30 -0200 (BDB)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Josu=E9_Jos=E9_Souza_Jr=2E?= <josue@nexos.com.br>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SMTP/SSL

Hello,

I'm trying to configure Netscape Messenger to use SMTP with SSL (or TLS)
when sending messages. I have stunnel configured to wrap sendmail but when
I set Messenger to always use SSL and try to send a message it returns an
error saying that it's unable no connect to SMTP server. So I went to
Outlook Express to see what I could get and then configured it to use SSL
to send messages. In this configuration option of Outlook it shows the
port to use, in this case, 465 (smtps where stunnel is configured in
inetd). Well, using Outlook it works fine.
Then I start watching packets to see what Messenger was trying to do and
everytime I tried to send a mail with SSL I saw packets going to port 25
instead of 465!
My question is if there is a way to configure sendmail to support SSL or
if stunnel can detect clients intention to use or not SSL and then act
just passing the message foward to sendmail (client not using SSL) or do
it's regular job adding SSL before passing it to sendmail.
If none of these two options are available, does anyone managed to get
Messenger working with SMTP+SSL?

Thanks in advance,

Josu=E9 Jos=E9 Souza Jr. - Opera=E7=F5es e Suporte  =20
josue@nexos.com.br
Nexos Servi=E7os de Redes Ltda.
http://www.nexos.com.br

Salvador - Bahia - Brasil