Date:      Sun, 4 May 1997 17:10:50 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>
To:        fullermd@narcissus.ml.org (The Devil Himself)
Cc:        un_x@anchorage.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: permissions

Hi,

> > > What do you mean, "as root"?
> >
> > i mean i can do these things as root (2.2.1).
> > i guess i should've added that the files ARE
> > owner root, group wheel.  i don't think i
> > should be able to modify such files, but i can.
> > it's interesting that you say you can't.
> > are you using 2.2.1?
> >
> > > If the file belongs to root, and you are anyone, including root, then you
> > > have a problem.
> > > Doesn't sound like a common one, because I had some files on my system
> > > r--r--r-- owner root, group wheel, and I got annoyed because I couldn't
> > > save changes, even as root.
>
> This was on a 2.1.6 system.
> I've also experienced it on a 2.2-STABLE 4/26/97 system.
> I've also come across it on a AIX 3.2.4 (shudder) system.
> When you say modify and save changes, how are you doing this?
> vi?
> pico?
> emacs?
> echo?
> Wasn't there some hole in emacs, about it ignoring file permissions?
> I'm pretty sure there was one a while ago about it ignoring ownership...

The file permissions are enforced by the kernel, i. e. even if some
userland software ignores the permissions, the kernel won't let
you write, read or execute in violation of the permission rules.

If you are root -- more precisely if your UID is 0 -- the permission
rules allow you to read and write regardless of the permission
flags and owner of the file in question.

To protect a file from root, you have to set the immutable flag
with the chflags(1) command.  E. g. this is done by the install
target of the kernel Makefile to prevent root from hosing the kernel
by changing or deleting it accidently.

An

$ ls -ol /kernel /kernel.old

shows the setting of this flag:

-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  schg 793551  2 Mai 21:37 /kernel
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  -    788710 26 Apr 19:36 /kernel.old

Wolfgang