Date:      Fri, 30 Dec 2005 23:14:45 +0100
From:      Pavel Duda <element@email.cz>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some questions on chmod in FAT hdd

Joao Borges wrote:

>   Hello everybody
>

>   I've finally installed and ran Samba 3 on my FreeBSD
> 5.4. Then, wanting to share a directory I applyed on
> directory
>
> drwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  1638 Dec 30 13:58 shared
>
> the following command (as root):
>
> chmod -R a=rwx shared
>
> It doesn't return error but when I look up the new
> atribution it is the same. Indeed this directory is
> inside a mounting point which has the same attributes
> (ie the mounting operation copies the mounting point
> attributtes and  then I can't change any attributes
> inside the mounting point). By the way the mount is a
> msdosfs type.
>
> Can I deal with this problem? Is it a bug (so I
> report) or I am doing some mistake?

Hi,

"Non-root file accesses may yield unexpected errors.
If the "file system owner" is not equal to the user who is accessing
the file system, some programs may generate unusual errors when
modifying or creating files. This happens because all files that are
created on the MS-DOS FS are implicitly chowned to the file system
owner. Work-around: only the user who owns the file system should
have write permission for it."

...so if you need to have access under some user then you have to mount
it into dir where this user is an owner. It is obvious because MSDOS FS
(FAT) doesn't support multiple users.

Pavel