Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 2017 13:23:47 +0100
From:      David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org>
To:        x11@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   No heads up for X.org config changes?

Hello x11 ports folk,

I updated X.org to the latest version at the weekend (actually, a week =
or two ago, but I didn=E2=80=99t restart it until then) and discovered =
that X would no longer start.  The fix appeared to be quite simple in =
the end - I had to replace =E2=80=98radeon=E2=80=99 in my driver line =
for my device section in xorg.conf with =E2=80=98modesetting=E2=80=99.  =
Apparently I probably also want Option     "AccelMethod"        =
=E2=80=9Cglamor=E2=80=9D to enable 2D acceleration and need to add Load  =
=E2=80=9Cglamoregl=E2=80=9D to my modules section.

None of this was documented.  I looked in the UPDATING entries for =
xorg-drivers and xorg, on the freebsd-x11 mailing list archives and in =
the form and didn=E2=80=99t find anything relevant.  Given that this =
update apparently broken any existing xorg.conf files that were =
configured to use DRI drivers, I imagine that other people were hit by =
it (though anyone using auto config was probably okay), so some public =
announcement (ideally in the UPDATING file, telling me I needed to =
update my config when I upgraded xorg-drivers) would have been nice.

David