Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2002 15:13:53 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@mobil.cz>
To:        newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports on FreeBSD4.4

> Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 13:24:10 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Tadimeti Keshav <keshav_tadimeti@yahoo.co.uk>
> Subject: RE:ports on FreeBSD4.4
> To: newbies@freebsd.org
>
> Hello George,
> Thanks, but I wonder why CD 3 and CD 4  have the very
> same ports/packages. Linux distros come loaded with
> apps.

    CDs #3 and #4 aren't the same. Some packages are on both, so that
    you don't have to shuffle CD's because of dependancies. I imagine
    this is not actually for your comfort, but because of sysinstall
    being unable to handle such situation. But it's just a nit IMO.

> Anyways I don't intend to connect to the internet
> using FreeBSD because at SIngapore ISPs make it
> possible for Windows and MACS ONLY.

    That's a pity. Let them know you prefer different OS.
    Although, I find it almost unbelievable that all of the ISP's there
    ban access with other OS's.

> This is my sole complaint with FreeBSD - nothing comes
> with the CD, one has to connect to the internet for
> everything from ports to upgrading.

    Hehe, this is so untrue... I run a standalone machine with FreeBSD
    4.4, and although I don't have internet access on that machine,
    FreeBSD CD's have catered for vast majority of my installing needs.

    As for upgrading: do you mean upgrading the base system? Well, the
    idea that e. g. 4.4 CD's should also contain the 4.5 release
    certainly looks very innovative...

--
FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE
3:06PM up 8 days, 21:30, 14 users, load averages: 0.04, 0.05, 0.04