Date:      Tue, 3 Jan 2006 13:38:44 -0000 (GMT)
From:      "DSA - JCR" <juancr@dsa.es>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   newby isp questions

Hi all in this list and Happy New Year !!!

I am New to FreeBSD but not to OSes and UNIX and would like to became in
an ISP, in a very first moment only with my own domain, and after we will
see ... ;D

I would like to know if the configuration in which i am thinking is right
or not.

I have and ADSL modem (1Mb by now) connecting to an ISP.

This is what I am thinking to do:

- I must have a fix IP from my ISP.
- The ADSL modem will connect to a Firewall box (FreeBSD or m0n0Wall?). I
am thinking in an old PC I have. Can this be made without Hard disk, only
with CD?.
- This Firewall connect to a PC with FreeBSD 6.0 and web capabilities
(Apache, mail...).
- In order to protect my network, I would use NAT, in the Firewall, and
connect my PC to it as a gateway.

Questions:
- Must I separate the Firewall/Nat from the Webserver box or can be the same?
- My ADSL modem uses USB to conect to PC, can I use it or is better a hub
adsl type?
- In the Webserver box, if I want to have diferent web domains,must I put
each one in a jail? and what about the IP of each domain, only one NIC?.

Where can I learn about this? books?...

Sincerely and thanks in advance

Juan Coruņa
Desarrollo de Software Atlantico