Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 1999 13:20:52 -0800
From:      Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>, Adam Turoff <aturoff@isinet.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bsd vs. linux and NT chart

On Tue, Mar 02, 1999 at 01:48:13PM -0700, Brett Glass wrote:
> At 03:38 PM 3/2/99 -0500, Bill Fumerola wrote:
>
> >We've put this off long enough. jkh can give you million reasons why he is
> >more happy with the 2-floppy solution.
>
> Also, from a technical standpoint, there's no reason why a single
> floppy can't reach out to the installation media and bring in any
> code that won't fit. This may well be an opportunity to leapfrog
> Linux once again.

Well, Brett, if you can't fit a generic kernel and networking code on
the same disk, then you can't reach out to your installation media in
the first place.  Having two floppies is far far better than having
different floppies for different types of installations (e.g. the
network install floppies, the cdrom install floppy, the nullmodem
install floppy (ouch), etc.).

The goal is not to leapfrog Linux or any other operating system.  The
goal is to provide the best possible OS.  This sometimes means making
compromises in certain areas in exchange for superior overall quality --
which is what was done here.  If attaining that level of quality means
that FreeBSD leapfrogs other OSes in certain areas, that's all the
better, but it isn't a goal.  The FreeBSD project is _not_ driven by
marketing, and I will certainly do my (albeit small) part to ensure that
it stays that way.

Greg
--
Gregory S. Sutter                    "Very funny, Scotty.
mailto:gsutter@pobox.com              Now beam down my clothes."