Date:      Thu, 17 Jan 2002 15:49:35 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Cc:        qa@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: s/key!

--ALfTUftag+2gvp1h

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 04:36:52PM +0200, Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:
> On Thu 2002-01-17 (14:58), Stijn Hoop wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 05:50:54AM -0800, Randy Bush wrote:
> > > i have never done anything wish s/key on either host.  why am i getti=
ng
> > > this?  (both quite recent -stable)
> > >=20
> > > ns0.psg.com:/usr/local/src/distfiles# rsy randy@rip.psg.com:bind-9.2.=
0.tar.gz .
> > > otp-md5 3 ri5788 ext
> > > S/Key Password:=20
> >=20
> > This has bitten me before as well. Recent -STABLE turns S/Key on by
> > default in /etc/ssh/sshd_config. Uncomment the line:
> >=20
> > # ChallengeResponseAuthentication no
> >=20
> > to disable S/Key again.
>=20
> That's going to be particularly irritating.  Is there any way for sshd
> to properly detect the necessity of S/Key?  If not, should it perhaps
> not be enabled by default?

I'm still looking for the option that lowers the priority of S/Key.
I think that POLA would be to use public-key first, then password, then
s/key. I haven't looked hard though...

--Stijn

--=20
"...I like logs. They give me a warm fuzzy feeling. I've been known to keep
logs for 30 months at a time (generally when I thought I was rotating them
daily, but was actually rotating them once a month)."
	-- Michael Lucas, in Big Scary Daemons article 'Controlling Bandwidth'

--ALfTUftag+2gvp1h

--ALfTUftag+2gvp1h--