Date:      Thu, 30 Apr 1998 13:18:12 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
To:        dwilde1@ibm.netTh
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Demo CDs (was: blessing)

Don Wilde wrote:

> OS/2 tried to be more windows than windows,
> and we saw what that got them.

	It got them a better windows than windows. OS/2's failure is entirely
due to the fact that they can't market their way out of a paper bag. As
an example, the Windows 3.1 emulation in OS/2 runs more windows
applications than Windows 95 does (based on microsoft's own data on apps
that do and don't run in Win95).

	The problems IBM has/had/is having regarding porting a Win32
environment to OS/2 are entirely related to microsoft constantly
changing the API so that IBM can't keep up, and introducing subtle
changes that they know won't work with OS/2. That was the entire purpose
behind the win32s update to 1.30. IBM was successful in porting win32
1.25 so IBM introduced a call in 1.30 that OS/2 can't use (I don't
remember the details of what it was, but it was well documented at the
time).

	My point is that technical superiority is never a bad thing. But it
won't help you one bit if you don't have the marketing to go with it.
That, and the fact that I'd kill for a good windows emulator that runs
on FreeBSD. :-/

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud designer and maintainer of the world's largest Internet