Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2000 11:23:22 -0500
From:      Chip Marshall <chip@setzer.chocobo.cx>
To:        Tommy Johnson <protius@bobdbob.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Video capture

On December 12, 2000, Tommy Johnson sent me the following:
> Yea, 'tis a nasty volume of data.  I usualy do 352x240x30fps at 16 bpp
> YUV, which is approxomately what NTSC does (YUV-422).  That works out to
> about 9GB/30 minutes.  Full resolution would be 36.4GB/30 minutes.
>
> Harware compression is your friend.  :-)

Speaking of which (assuming you mean hardware compression), are there
any MPEG hardware compression cards available that work with FreeBSD?
I've been kindof looking at the Hauppauge WinTV DVR (I think that's
it), but I doubt that I would be able to use it as more than just a
frame grabber under FreeBSD.

--
Chip Marshall <chip@chocobo.cx> http://www.chocobo.cx/chip/ Finger for PGP
GCM/CS d+(-) s+:++ a18>? C++ UB++++$ P+++$ L- E--- W++ N+@ o K- w O M+ V--