Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2007 20:03:42 +0200
From:      "Michael Schuh" <michael.schuh@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISP Webfrontends for Management

Hi @list,

(i would answer to the list, not to the persons only)

First thanks for the suggestions.

Now my personal opinions:
I like solutions that ar small, smart and easy to administrate/update.
Such as syscp. But syscp doesn't have all the functionality that i like.
dtc looks very good, but have tons of dependencies that are not really
needed.
raqdevil shold be a good solution if it get installed right, but it doesn't
in a jail.

webin is overloaded, while the customer from me doesn't like a fully system
management, and in the last twelve years of my experiences with
linux/freebsd
i have many many boxes seen that have been cracked and misused as
mailgateways/streamingservers
or public ftpservers from crackers. because the updates from webin are not
all times
maked fast enough.

qmail is good but for me it is a little bit to complex to handle,
i prefer combinations such as
named(bind9)/postfix/sa/dspam/cyrus-imap(also with murder-config) or courie=
or dovecot for small
enviroments. for Databases i like to prefer postgresql before mysql and
apache or lightttpd.

And that are the components that i have to manage over a single webfrontend=
.
So that at this moment syscp is the only one that can handle this and only
this,
not more and not less, but it lacks of support for sa/dspam.
ok dspam brings his own webfrontend but sa not and sa is very complex
to configure while it has tons of features......so i think about it to leav=
it out from
the box and use only dspam.....

the webfrontends for cyrus are not really good IMHO

thanks for your suggestions

regards

michael

Michael Schuh wrote:
> > Hi @list,
> >
> > i search a good/reliable/stable possibility to manage
> > Domains/users/mailaccounts/webspace/servers etc.
> > per Http...
> >
> > I have searched throug google and the ports-tree and the only
> > two frontends that i have found are sysutils/syscp and www/raqdevil.
> >
> > syscp shows me very clear and a little bit poor but stable and mature
> enough
> > to use it.
> >
> > raqdevil is horridble to install clean and runnable in a jail,
> > and it uses originally code from SUN Microsystems Cobalt-Raq's,
> > so that it seems to me a little bit difficult to use it.....
> >
> > Can anyone point me to other frontends ( preferred supported through th=
> > ports-tree),
> > and/or to an frontend to cfengine ( if it gave one)?
> >
> > Thanks for all
> >
> > regards
> >
> > michael

--=20
=3D=3D=3D m i c h a e l - s c h u h . n e t =3D=3D=3D
Michael Schuh
Preu=DFenstr. 13
66111 Saarbr=FCcken
phone: 0681/8319664