Date:      Mon, 6 Jan 2020 10:52:50 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Gcc 4.2.1 to be removed before FreeBSD 13, a firm timeline

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com wrote on
Mon Jan 6 06:56:06 UTC 2020 :

> . . .
> Second, all other platforms still have the original deadlines to sort out
> the last lingering issues with the external toolchain and/or clang. mips is
> a bit up in the air right now since both the external toolchain and clang
> have issues (though different issues). powerpc 32-bit is sorting out issues
> as well. arm 32-bit still needs libunwind from gcc. An end of May deadline
> is ample time for works in progress to get to the point where everything
> boots and runs sufficiently well to show the platforms are still viable.
> . . .

The reference to 32-bit powerpc surprised me,
unless it is really powerpcspe specific.

32-bit FreeBSD is booting the 32-bit powerpc's
that I have access to, all the way to multi-user:
Old 32-bit PowerMacs (from 2 socket G4's to an
old iMac G3.) It is still based on the old ld.
[All at head -r356187 currently.]

(I do not have access to a powerpcspe context.)

True that using 32-bit FreeBSD to boot 64-bit
PowerPCs that have bridge mode is not working,
but I'd have expected that to be more of a
nice-to-have instead of a tier 2 vs. tier 4
issue. Power-ISA-3/Power9 removed bridge mode,
if I understand right. So progress on the
"Can you buy a new one?" scale has started for
bridge mode.

May be there is some significant bridge mode
booting use that I'm not imagining but that
exists? (I've used it some but would not
call it required.)

I am able to put a 32-bit world in a 64-bit G5
directory tree and use it via poudriere to build
32-bit ports under 64-bit FreeBSD. And lib32 is
working so I can also directly execute the 32-bit
code under the 64-bit FreeBSD . (I've not tried
any kyua passes yet, 64-bit or 32-bit.)

Other things I've seen from Ed Maste left the
impression that the old ld would not be a
cause-tier-4 issue if lld does not make it in
time for some reason. (Nice to delete old ld for
13, not required to?)

Of course, it might be that 32-bit powerpc
(non-spe) just fails the "Can you buy a new
one?" test. But, if applied, that would mean
that sorting anything out might still leave it
tier 4.

Are there could-cause-tier-4 types of problems
that I'm not aware of for 32-bit powerpc
(non-spe)?

For me, tier-4 for the old 32-bit PowerMac's
would just mean that I no longer use them,
even when I could have access. My use is not
something that would drive FreeBSD choices.
But I'm still interested in what the choices
will end up being and so am tracking.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com