Date:      Sun, 03 Nov 1996 17:14:42 -0600 (CST)
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "Philippe Charnier" <charnier@xp11.frmug.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: panic: page fault

On 03:17:06 "Philippe Charnier" wrote:
>>Hello,
>
>I got this with a current kernel (last friday, cvs-cur #2646).
>
>Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
>fault virtual address  = 0x1000024
>fault code             = supervisor read, page not present
>instruction pointer    = 0x8:0xf01ba1a3
>stack pointer          = 0x10:0xf01daff4
>frame pointer          = 0x10:0xf01daff8
>code segment           = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>                       = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
>processor eflags       = resume, IOPL = 0
>current process                = Idle
>interrupt mask         =
>panic: page fault

I've been getting similar, but not been saving the crash files.
Last week I upgraded from a 486DX33 ISA w/ 8M to 486/133 PCI w/
32M as the DX33 MB would no longer work with either an Adaptec
1542CF or UltraStor 14F SCSI card. Slipped the new MB in place
and all was great except I'd compiled out bounce buffers in
my 2.1.0R (plus a bunch of CTM's). Added bounce buffers back
and the keyboard didn't work. Took bounce buffers back out and
the keyboard still didn't work. Apparently my sources were not
the ones for the kernel that did work. So in went the
961014-SNAP. Keyboard works. "New" (had BIOS 1.10, downloaded
1.16 from Adaptec, burned a new EPROM, didn't help) Adaptec 2940
and ST3610N HD don't work reliably. Data on disk gets corrupted.
Kernel crashes similar to the above.

Crash seems to be related to disk access. "rm -rf directory" has
brought it down a couple of times. Once on an NFS imported fs,
bunches of times on my SCSI disk. Never on my IDE disk.

Wasn't going to say anything 'till next week as I applied all the
CTM patches then double-checked GENERIC and noticed a new option
for the AHC driver saying some MB's didn't I/O or PIO right...
Built a new kernel... got lots of "warning: comparing signed and
unsigned values", and walked off with a "make world" running.

Will know if that fixed it tomorrow when I reboot it with its
new world and kernel.
--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@tomcat1.tbe.com (wk), dkelly@hiwaay.net (hm)