Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2000 21:20:45 +0900
From:      Yoshinobu Inoue <shin@nd.net.fujitsu.co.jp>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   filtering of IPv6 over IPv4?

Hello,
I am Yoshinobu Inoue, a committer of freebsd project.
And I am a member of Japanese KAME project which is
implementing IPv6 and IPsec functionalities over BSD derived
platforms.

I am not sure if the issue now I am going to raise is
appropriate for this list. If I am wrong, sorry for it, and if
there are other better places, I'll appreciate if anyone let
me know it.

Now I am putting IPv6 and IPsec functionalities into
freebsd-current.
Already many of merging have done, and several functionalities
are available.
And several people are beginning to try to use it.
But some of them have a problem using IPv6 via their ISPs.

When someone begins to use IPv6, IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling is
essential for the 1st stage. (e.g. protocol number 41 in IPv4)
Because many ISPs are not yet providing native IPv6 service.

But I am receiving several reports that some people failed to
establish IPv6 over IPv4 connection via their ISP, and after
several checking, it is found out that their ISP seems to be
filtering those kind of packets.

It is a shame to discourage people who are beginning to use
IPv6, so I really wish for many ISPs not to filter IPv6 over
IPv4 packets.  Some of their customers are beginning to wish
to use those kind of packets(again, ip protocol 41), and I
believe the number will increase.

Yoshinobu Inoue