Date:      Tue, 7 Aug 2001 09:33:40 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, Mike Pritchard <mpp@mppsystems.com>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org, doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Which OS does a man page come from? (was: cvs commit: src/bi

On Monday,  6 August 2001 at 11:30:32 +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Aug 2001 18:51:39 +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>> Why?  What if I don't have the native OS?
>
> Then where did you get the source for the manuals?

From a CD.  Off the net.  Maybe they're old, out of date man pages
left behind from an upgrade install.

> Come on, Greg, can't you just accept that people simply don't agree
> with you,

A couple don't.  I suspect most don't want to get involved.

> and for at least arguably valid reasons?

No, I see absolutely no validity in any of the arguments.  For no good
reason you want to remove important parts of the documentation.

> This is getting tiresome, and you're having to present some really
> unlikely scenarios to prove your point.

These are not unlikely scenarios.  They're real life.  As I said in an
earlier message, I do have man pages for multiple architectures on my
network.  I'm sure I'm not alone.  Your standpoint makes you look like
you can't understand that other people may want to do things you
don't.

Greg