Date:      Sat, 28 Feb 1998 10:03:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CSU/DSU

On Fri, 27 Feb 1998, Charles Mott wrote:

> Are there any CSU/DSU modules that plug into an ISA or PCI slot?  My basic
> interest is getting a T-1 (DS-1, actually) connection using FreeBSD as the
> router.
>
> The CSU/DSU units I have seen communicate with a router via a synchronous
> serial connection.  Are there any economical interface cards designed to
> receive a 1.5 megabit/sec synchronous connection?  Are standard UARTs
> capable of this?

  You can get high speed sync cards for FreeBSD at http://www.etinc.com.
Also, cards supported by the ar(4) driver, and the cx(4) driver.

  "Standard" UARTs are not capable of sync operation.  A typical sync card
will do PPP framing for you, so you need a specialized driver to send
packets to the card.

  I think USR/3COM makes a card with a built in DSU.  It is not supported
under FreeBSD though.

  Integrated DSUs can be a pain.  They almost never give you as much info
as a real DSU.

> Charles Mott

Tom