Date:      Wed, 7 Oct 1998 06:43:14 +1300
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disclaimers

On 6 Oct 98, at 10:16, Jason C. Wells wrote:

> >I ain't even *authorized* to speak for anyone other than myself, so give
> >up now on trying to associate my words with any particular organization.
>
> Is there some sort of history behind these, "I speak only for myself"
> disclaimers? I have seen a few of them. Frankly, they seem odd.

It's mostly a USA thing.  Denial of liability in case you do what they say
and it goes wrong.  It also serves to disassociate the company from the
individual comments.  For example, it attempts to prevent the company from
promoting line of thinking which it may not wish to promote, say if an
employee goes postal over something.

--
Dan Langille
DVL Software Limited