Date:      Wed, 04 Jun 2008 15:09:23 -0400
From:      "Alexandre \"Sunny\" Kovalenko" <gaijin.k@gmail.com>
To:        Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
Cc:        Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@freebsd.org>, nlaroche@vt.edu, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lenovo Thinkpad t61p and FreeBSD?

On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 07:45 -0500, Josh Paetzel wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 June 2008 07:25:13 am Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 11:13:27AM -0400, nlaroche@vt.edu wrote:
> > > Quoting nlaroche@vt.edu:

> > > That was a T61p not a T60p
> >
> > It really doesn't matter in this case; T60p, T60p (widescreen), T61p,
> > X60p, etc...  They all behave the same way when it comes to
> > temperatures: incredibly high, sometimes to the point of the system
> > shutting off (for some).
>
> My T60p is really unusable for anything cpu intensive under FreeBSD.  Even
> with the ibm acpi addons loaded and the fan set to it's highest setting it
> only turns at 3700rpm, which isn't enough to keep it from shutting down due
> to heat.  (eg over 100C)
>
> I'm interested in whatever cooling solutions people have...

You can read through this thread:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=141019+0
+/usr/local/www/db/text/2008/freebsd-acpi/20080217.freebsd-acpi

which mentions at least two ways to approach it -- the right one from
the referenced message forward.

HTH,

--
Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko (Олександр Коваленко)