Date:      Fri, 07 Jun 1996 06:39:17 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD-stable

"Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" wrote in message ID
<199606070337.UAA07710@MindBender.HeadCandy.com>:
> Last question (really! :-): so, as I asked before, will it be a simple
> task to do a source compile "upgrade" from 2.1.0-release to stable?

Just FYI, I had a FreeBSD box that was running 2.0-RELEASE, with
munged binaries in a couple of places to allow me to run a 2.1-stable
kernel on it. I downloaded the 2.1-stable source tree a month or two
ago once I got more disk space. Made a new kernel, rebooted using it,
then ran `make world' in /usr/src. Apart from 2 hiccups (which were
easly fixed if you read the error and go look at what's happening) it
worked fine. So (with a small bit of work) it's possible to bootstrap
from 2.0R!

Gary