Date:      Mon, 1 Dec 1997 19:40:13 +1100 (EST)
From:      Andrew Kenneth Milton <akm@mother.sneaker.net.au>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, garbanzo@hooked.net, nectar@NECTAR.COM, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Out of Box experience (Was: Re: How is selection made of what goes into CDrom?)

+-----[ Mike Smith ]------------------------------

| > Don't forget there's also a curses version of Tk which does a fair
| > job. The SCO (boo hiss) system tool works this way, if you run it from
| > a console it uses the curses version, otherwise you get the pretty
| > X one. So your development of a dual-mode sysinstall using Tk would
| > (almost) fall out for free.
|
| ... only Visual Tcl (the tool you are thinking of) is proprietary and
| not available.  I think that Karl L. and friends spent a long time on
| vtcl for a *very* good reason.  We don't have those resources.

Errr no. There is a pd/freeware curses tk implementation out there
that isn't vtcl. ctk.. it's in the ports. I know about Visual Tcl,
I meant to use SCO as an example of something that has dual modes.

I have actually used it on a Tk thing I wrote, to see what it looked
like on a console. It doesn't do too bad a job. There are obviously
somethings that aren't going to work like pretty logos and iconic
displays (which are overrated anyway IMHO).

I'm not saying it's *the* solution, I'm just saying there's stuff
out there that could possibly make life easier.

I've seen an (S)VGA graphics library that converts stuff to ANSI on the
fly (not too badly either) so there are all sorts of weird packages out
there. (*shudder* ANSI doom).

This package contains CTk, a curses port of John Ousterhout's Tk
toolkit for X11.

Using CTk, applications with a modern GUI-ish interface can be
created for character terminals.  These same applications, without
modification, can provide a real GUI interface by using Tk.  Thus,
sites with an embedded base of character terminals (and a small
capital budget) can smoothly migrate to GUI applications.

--
  ,-_|\  SneakerNet       |     Andrew Milton    |    GSM: +61(41)6 022 411
 /     \ P.O. Box 154     |  akm@sneaker.net.au  |    Fax: +61(2) 9746 8233