Date:      Wed, 22 Aug 2001 17:37:01 -0700
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Netgear MA301 and other PIX based PrismII PCI adapters

On Wednesday August 22, 2001 02:20 pm, Nick Sayer wrote:
> A friend and I are trying to get a machine of his (running RELENG_4) to go
> with a Netgear MA401. The trick is, however, that this isn't a laptop. We
> bought the MA301 PCI adapter, but that doesn't appear to be working. It
> shows up as vendor 0x1385, device 0x4100. I tried substituting these in the
> wi pci probe routine, but that just hung the machine at attach time. I went
> to Fry's and took a couple of other brand PCI 802.11b cards out of the box
> (shh!) and they all appear to be based on that same PIX chip (perhaps with
> different vendor/device ID pairs).
>
> Has anyone got one of these to work? Do I try and get the PIX to be
> recognized as a Cardbus bridge or do I have to hack the wi driver some
> more?

It turns out that my first instinct is correct. Adding 41001385 as another
alternative PCI device match in /sys/i386/isa/if_wi.c works. It didn't work
before because the card wasn't jammed all the way in the slot. :-)

So it would appear that PrismII vendors all tend to do the same thing, but
with different vendor/device ID numbers. This means that if_wi should really
have some sort of list of them that is easily extendable. I will see what I
can do and contact the wi maintainer, if there is one.