Date:      Wed, 14 May 2003 11:37:51 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ia64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/ia64 5.1-BETA Hardware Notes Page Preview

--6TrnltStXW4iwmi0

If memory serves me right, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 09:26:11AM -0700, Bruce A. Mah wrote:

> > PS.  We could *insert* some MD text into those sections so that they
> > are not empty, but I can't make the section headings go away.
>=20
> Why not.=20

It's a really bizarro, stupid SGML problem of my own making.  Due to
the way I implemented the MD hardware/release notes stuff, if we turn
off the section headings, they'll still occupy sequence number space.
This would lead to gaps in the section numbering (e.g. "1.1" followed
by "1.5").

If I had to do this over again, I would have implemented all of the
conditional text with cpp(1) rather than try to be a DocBook and
stylesheet purist.  :-(

> If all else fails we can sum up the device we think have
> a chance to work. Just collect all the devices we know about and
> filter out those devices that don't have PCI interfaces. Given
> that we don't have much experience in the field, describing what
> we expect on top of what we know may be informative...

That's a thought...I think that the sparc64 hardware notes had some
informed conjecture along these lines too (maybe it still does).

Thanks,

Bruce.

--6TrnltStXW4iwmi0

--6TrnltStXW4iwmi0--