Date:      Mon, 7 Apr 1997 11:34:29 -0700
From:      "M.R.Murphy" <mrm@Mole.ORG>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, terry@lambert.org
Cc:        avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: on the subject of changes to -RELEASEs...

> > Crap.  Whilst you can, certainly, devise a pathological case to
> > justify your claims, the reality is that the sort of changes mooted
> > will not, on the whole, mandate /etc/ changes, and the proposed
> > service is worthwhile.  Also note that the 'source-diff' plan doesn't
> > have anything to do with /etc.  If you have a beef with Danny's work,
> > take it up with him.
>

> How can this scheme cause Robert Withrow's AMD/NIS "eval" changes
> to /etc/sysconfig and /etc/rc to work on my machine?
>
> I don't think that case is pathalogical at all, and it's just the
> first one off the top of my head.
>

> I believe there were mount option changes a while back as well.
>
> What about the mount utility changes for the 4.4BSD-Lite2 merge?
>

> > The scheme _is_ practical.  You are being part of the problem; please
> > desist 8)
>
> The soloution is known and long-standing, it's just never been
> adopted because of the /var and rc.d changes being "too SysV-like"
> (ie: NIH).
>
> (How can advocating a particular soloution be construed as "being part
>  of the problem"?  It would seem more like "part of the soloution"...)

Are any of you folk actually doing an upgrade from somebody else's
"here's how it ought to be" distribution of ANYTHING directly to
a machine that you care about? Seems to me it would be crazy
to do that :-)

My production machines use NIS maps for amd. I don't expect the
stock /etc/rc and /etc/sysconfig to handle it. The FreeBSD startup
of amd only provides a small subset of the startup possibilities
described in the amd documentation. This is just an example.

Another exmaple: I don't like the ownership and permissions of
directories and files in the standard distribution. I change it on
production machines. My call, and not under the jurisdiction
of the Permissions Police, eh?

I don't expect the standard FreeBSD distribution to fit my needs
out of the box, or to have Those in Power change it to fit my needs,
I am pleased when it is a reasonable base from which to change.
How would anyone alse know what wierd configuration I might want.

If I think a change is slick enough to mention, and I am free to
suggest it, that's another story. If few or none like it, that's
OK, and I can still use it, what's the problem? Is it worth arguing
about all of this?

--
Mike Murphy  mrm@Mole.ORG  +1 619 598 5874
Better is the enemy of Good