Date:      Wed, 03 May 2000 04:44:15 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, "Daniel J. Zaccariello" <marisombra@mindspring.com>, John Papalia <john@jpepconsulting.com>, Jeremiah Gowdy <jgowdy@home.com>, smkelly@slashnet.org, insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Attitudes towards newbies (was Re: FreeBSD and IRC)

> I can't figure out whether you're pretending not to understand the
> issue, or really not understanding it despite the last paragraph of
> my earlier mail. The issue is not whether IRC should provide support.

That's the only issue I see here.  Talking about this being our
business when it's clearly not is simply a non-sequitur as far as I'm
concerned.

> OK here it is:
>
>   IRC: While #freebsd channels exist, the FreeBSD project does not

Excellent.  Committed with just a few tweaks, so it now says:

        While #freebsd channels exist on various IRC networks, the FreeBSD
        project does not control them or endorse IRC as a support medium.
        You may be ignored, insulted or kicked out if you ask questions on
        any channel in IRC, though you may have slightly better luck
        in channels named #freebsdhelp where such exist.  If you want
	to try these or any other channels on IRC, it is nonetheless
        at your own risk and any complaints about conduct on those channels
        should not be directed to the FreeBSD project.  See also
        more information.

- Jordan