Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 16:19:57 -0400
From:      "Christopher R. Bowman" <crb@ChrisBowman.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        smoergrd@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com (Dag-Erling Coidan Sm?rgrav), tlambert@primenet.com, grog@lemis.com, mike@smith.net.au, brett@lariat.org, pechter@shell.monmouth.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GNU software (was: "Open Source Town Meeting" supports only one faction)

At 04:34 AM 7/22/98 , Terry Lambert wrote:
>> > So use "vi", and avoid carpel-tunnel syndrome at the same time...
>>
>> Bullshit. Emacs does not require the use of a mouse any more than vi
>> does, unless you're too lazy (or stupid) to learn to use it properly.
>> Hint: (menu-bar-mode -1).
>
>The carpel-tunnel syndrome is caused by the large number of widely
>spread keays in order to invoke a command, not by the use of a mouse.
>
>It is only Sun mice that are widely known as contributory factors...
>

>					Terry Lambert
>					terry@lambert.org
>---
>Any opinions in this posting are my own and not those of my present
>or previous employers.

I tend to believe otherwise.  The four months of VLSI layout I did at
school using magic did not involve a "large number of widely spread keys in
order to invoke a command".  What they did involve were large numbers of
transitions from keyboard to mouse with the concomitant hyperextension of
the wrist when done with out taking the eyes off screen.  This was
aggravated by approximately 15 hours per week of Ice Hockey.  (I am right
handed but left eye dominant so I tend to play "stick" sports left handed
which in Ice hockey would aggravate carpel tunnel in the right hand since
left handed players have their right hand at the top of the stick.  In Ice
Hockey the top stick hand performs most of the fine motor control.)
--------
Christopher R. Bowman
crb@ChrisBowman.com
http://www.ChrisBowman.com/~crb