Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 11:07:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Gemmell speaks on Multicast, EE380 W4:15 Gates B03 (fwd)

FYI

someone should try attend... :-)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 08:29:43 -0800 (PST)
From: ee380 <ee380@shasta.Stanford.EDU>
To: colloq@cs.stanford.edu
Subject: Gemmell speaks on Multicast, EE380 W4:15 Gates B03

		EE380 Computer Systems Colloquium

		      Fall Quarter 1998-1999

			  Lecture #8

Date:		Wednesday, Nov 11,1998

Time:		4:15-5:30 pm

Location:	NEC Auditorium (B03)
		Gates Computer Science Building

SITN:		See SITN Schedule for details...

Internet:	Live on the Net!  See instructions on the Web page
		http://www-leland.stanford.edu/class/ee380

Title:		A Scalable Multicast Architecture for Telepresentations
Speaker:	Jim Gemmell
		Microsoft Research

About the talk:

We have developed a scalable reliable multicast architecture for
delivering one-to-many telepresentations.  In contrast to audio
and video, which are often transmitted unreliably, other media,
such as slides, images and animations require reliability.  Our
approach transmits the data in two layers.  One layer is for
session-persistent data, with reliability achieved by FEC alone,
using the Fcast protocol.  The other layer is for dynamic data,
with reliability achieved using the ECSRM protocol, which
combines FEC with NACK suppression.  Our approach is scalable to
large heterogeneous receiver sets, and supports late-joining
receivers.  We have implemented our approach in a multicast
version of PowerPoint, a graphical slide presentation tool.

About the speaker:

Jim Gemmell is a researcher in the Microsoft Research
Telepresence Research Group - a part of the Bay Area Research
Center (BARC) in San Francisco. He received his Ph.D. and B.Sc.
from Simon Fraser University and his M.  Math from University of
Waterloo (all in computer science).  His research interests
include telepresence, telepresentations, digital audio and video
storage/retrieval, and reliable multicast. He produced the
on-line version of the <a href="/acm97">ACM 97 conference.

Contact information:
Jim Gemmell
jgemmell@microsoft.com

* EE380 is the Computer Systems Laboratory Colloquium.  The Colloquium *
* meets most Wednesdays throughout the normal academic year. The class *
* is broadcast over SITN and taped for late viewing in the Engineering *
* Library.  EE380 is now available live on the Internet!               *
* For additional information please consult the class web page         *
*            http://www-leland.stanford.edu/class/ee380                *