Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 1997 12:02:33 -0600
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        Chris Timmons <skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Just CVS (was Re: CVS question, sendmail, named)

Thanks for the reply, its been most helpfull.

I don't have a recent CDROM of FreeBSD. OTOH I have:

nexgen: {253} ls -CF /usr/sup
ports-all/      src-all/        src-eBones/     src-secure/

...created by cvsup using the file I posted earlier (and see below).

What I'm really trying to do (and maybe "make release" doesn't do it?) is
to build a -SNAP of my current sources in order to play with newer
sysinstall's and clone my system to friend's machines without having to
download the entire -GAMMA's.

Am I on the right track?

Chris Timmons wrote:

> David,
>
> The example that John gave depended on the fact that user has a copy of
> the FreeBSD CVS repository on the local machine in the directory pointed
> at by the CVSROOT environment variable.  Most users don't need to do this,
> as the repository contains the information necessary to reconstruct every
> version of every source file that is/was part of FreeBSD since 2.0-R.
> Right now that is about 345MB worth!

No, I don't have that!

> What you can do instead is use John's CVSup tool to operate on copies of
> the CVS repository maintained on the various CVSup mirror machines; see
> the discussion in section 17.2 of the FreeBSD handbook (www.freebsd.org),
> and have a look at the examples in /usr/share/examples/cvsup on your
> system.

Did that.

> Using CVSup it is very easy to track a particular revision of the _entire_
> source tree, by specifying a 'tag=<tag>' in your cvsupfile.  John would
> have to tell you if it would be possible to update most of your tree to
> one revision, while updating another portion (eg sendmail) to another, as
> in the example which used cvs and the local copy of the repository.

I think I have RELENG_2_2 of src-all, src-eBones and src-secure, and
current "." of ports.

> If you have some extra disk space and want to play with the CVS
> repository, start with a copy from the most recent FreeBSD cd-rom you have
> (hopefully 2.1.6), and then have a look at the cvs-supfile example in
> /usr/share/examples/cvsup.  Once you get that going, you could point
> CVSROOT at it, and then be able to manipulate your source tree in the
> manner described.

I'm not trying to do much in the manipulation of my source tree. Only thing
I'm worried about is if it deletes my /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/NEXGEN and
/usr/ports/distfiles/*. So I keep copies of those elsewhere. Only changed
the following 5 lines out of /usr/share/examples/cvsup/cvs-supfile:

*default host=cvsup2.FreeBSD.org
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_2_2
ports-all tag=.
src-eBones
src-secure

> p.s. try cvsup5 for your CVSup adventures, it's fast :)

Where do I find cvsup5? It doesn't appear in ports. I've got:
nexgen: {265} cvsup -v
CVSup client
Software version: REL_14_1_1
Protocol version: 14.0

Think I installed it from packages-current.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net